• Pepper Potts

by Published on 04-15-2014 12:00 PM
    Article Preview

The Los Gatos Kiwanis will be hosting the second annual Egg Hunt on the front lawn of Los Gatos High School on Saturday, April 19th. The younger kids, ages 2-6, will begin hunting at 10am, with the 7-10 yr olds joining the fun at 10:30. Participants should bring their own Easter baskets.

by Published on 04-14-2014 09:00 AM

Remember last year when voters were asked to approve Prop 30? Remember “Yes on 30, Take a Stand for Schools and Safety”? Well, it passed last November, and now taxpayers can see the impact to our local schools on this handy website, recently released by State Controller John Chiang. Go to trackprop30.ca.gov, and a few clicks later, you can find out how much additional funding came to each school district. It sounds good for LGUSD, having received $622,748 from Prop 30. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you it will reduce class sizes, or reinstate music, or anything. That’s because LGUSD hasn’t yet provided the State with their spending plan for this money.

Published on 04-07-2013 06:30 PM

We, the members of the Los Gatos Citizens for Responsible Development support responsible, reasonable and effective growth and development.

We support the re-development of the Los Gatos Business Park LLC (proposed Albright Office Park) consistent with the following:

• We support a project consistent with the Goals and Policies of the 2020 General Plan, consistent with the General Plan Light Industrial Land Use Designation, and consistent with the Townʼs Commercial Design Guidelines.
    • We support a project that protects our environment.
    • We support a project that minimizes traffic impacts in an already congested area.
    Published on 04-04-2013 01:00 PM

Math class offerings cut by the district at Fisher Middle School will impact every K-5 child!

The district's implementation plan for the new Common Core Standards in Los Gatos K-8 will result in the loss of math levels. Can you believe in Los Gatos we would allow such a thing? Since when do we settle for limited choices? Why would we not continue to allow kids that excel in math to be placed in a classroom that provides a challenging and stimulating learning environment? If your child excels, no longer will the be allowed to take a class outside of their grade level. Those that need the highest math level currently offered at Fisher, will now have to wait until high school. How can this be? Since when did we say "no" to providing an excellent education? The Superintendent labeled the over 100 parents at the "math meeting" last week as "hostile" when questions arose. That does not sound very collaborative nor solution oriented, it unfortunately sounds like a "no".

Published on 03-19-2013 06:00 AM

The General Plan calls for a 35 foot height limit. Why should we approve 65 feet requested by the developer?

Structures that go 35 feet, with underground parking will be in compliance with the existing zoning height limit, and provide open space with the underground parking. Keeping to the existing height limit will protect views, and the privacy of adjoining landowners.

Published on 03-07-2013 01:30 PM
    Article Preview

Peter Carter, co-founder of the Los Gatos Social Club, died at his home Wednesday night or early Thursday morning, apparently due to an accidental fall. His wife, Dennise, was reportedly not at home. Peter had just turned 70.

by Published on 02-17-2013 04:00 PM

Reports of door-to-door solicitors are increasing. I tend to not open my door to anyone I don't know, unless they are holding Thin Mints. Check out the press release below, and stay safe. Call the LG/MS Police Department at the numbers listed if you see anything suspicious going on in your neighborhood.
    by Published on 02-15-2013 04:15 PM

The Town of Los Gatos invites concerned citizens to a Scoping Session regarding the North 40, on March 6th at 6pm in the Council Chambers. Please see below for more details from the Community Development Department.

Dear North Forty Interested Citizens:

The Town of Los Gatos will be the Lead Agency and prepare an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for the North Forty Specific Plan. The Town has circulated a Notice of Preparation (NOP) to public agencies as required by the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). Through the NOP, the Town will solicit input from these public agencies on the scope and content of the EIR in connection with the North Forty Specific Plan.

by Published on 02-07-2013 05:45 PM

Below is the second announcement sent yesterday by the LGUSD. A kind reader inserted the entire text into a comment - thank you. I am posting it here, and copying the related comments, for further discussion.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Tuesday, February 6, 2013

CONTACT: Dr. Diana Abbati, Superintendent – Los Gatos Union School District

Los Gatos Union School District Board Votes Unanimously to Place
    No Tax Increase Renewal Measure on May 7, 2013 - Mail-in Ballot

LOS GATOS— The Los Gatos Union School District (LGUSD) officials, parents and teachers gathered tonight to discuss the importance of renewing the local funding measure that helps support student achievement in local schools.

Citing the need to maintain outstanding educational programs and retain highly-qualified teachers without increasing tax rates, the Los Gatos Union School District Board voted unanimously to seek a renewal of the District’s expiring parcel tax measure on the May 7, 2013 ballot.

“Los Gatos schools are among the top in the state in terms of student test scores, thanks to
    by Published on 02-07-2013 10:20 AM

The following announcement was sent out by LGUSD Superintendent Abbati Wednesday afternoon:

February 6, 2013

Dear Los Gatos Union School District Families, Teachers and Staff:

It is with heartfelt words that I write this letter to inform you that our Principal, Rosanne Adona, will be retiring from Louise Van Meter Elementary School at the end of June 2013. Over the past 18 years, LGUSD students, teachers, and staff have greatly benefited from Ms. Adona’s leadership, vision, guidance and aspirations. The Board of Trustees will be accepting Ms. Adona’s retirement letter at the February 12th Board meeting.

While this news came unexpectedly, the District Administrative Team is taking the necessary steps to ensure a smooth transition for the 2013-14 school year. It is our intent to build on our strong momentum and continue in our current positive direction. We are so very fortunate to have the administrative talents and experience of our Principals, teachers and staff to guide our future and ground Van Meter Elementary through this transition.

by Published on 01-28-2013 08:30 PM
    Article Preview

The following agenda can be found on the LGUSD website here:
    (apologies for the wide open spacing, the formatting isn't allowing me to make it any prettier)

Regular Board Meeting
    January 29 - 6:30 p.m.

Thomas P. O’Donnell District Office Board Room
    Click here to view previous board meetings!
    Superintendent
    Dr. Diana G. Abbati

Board Members
    Kathleen Bays
    Scott Broomfield
    Emi Eto
    Leigh-Anne Marcellin
    Tina Orsi-Hartigan

Published on 01-26-2013 07:00 PM
    Article Preview

InsideLG is lucky to feature Story Snoops, a local website providing parents and children with reviews and guidance on children's literature.

The ALA will be announcing their awards on January 28th, and we will soon learn who will win this year’s Newbery Award.

I have been
    hesitant to make predictions in the past becomes sometimes those winners come straight out of left field and I never could have guessed them! But where is the fun in that? There are some solid books from 2012 that most would agree deserve, if not the Newbery Medal, then perhaps a Newbery Honor award. These are just my opinions however, so don’t laugh at me if I completely miss the mark come January 28th. With that disclaimer, I bring you my darlings for the 2013 Newbery Award.

by Published on 01-21-2013 02:00 PM

The following agenda can be found on the Town of Los Gatos website here:

TOWN OF LOS GATOS
    TOWN COUNCIL/SUCCESSOR AGENCY MEETING
    TUESDAY, JANUARY 22, 2013 -- 7:00 P.M. -

STUDY SESSION CALLED TO ORDER - 5:00 P.M.

Capital Improvement Program Study Session - Discuss and provide input regarding priorities for Capital Improvement Funding

by Published on 01-14-2013 01:00 PM

The following agenda can be found on the LGSUHSD website here:

The agenda includes a discussion of the "New Tech High" program being considered for LGHS (see RD.4), and approval of an expenditure plan for the RDA money the district is receiving (see AI.5). Anything else here jump out at you? Let us know in the comments.

Published on 01-09-2013 09:30 PM

NOT IN MY DOWNTOWN!
    Los Gatos Town's Planning Commission pushes affordable housing away

Recently the Los Gatos Town’s Planning Commission was called upon to to plan for future affordable income housing units throughout Town. The commission’s response was a resounding “Not In My Downtown!” Paying only lip service to the concept of building affordable housing IN Los Gatos, the Commission’s plan-which will come before Town Council within a few weeks- is to essentially dump hundreds of low-income housing units in the “faraway lands” north of highway 85.

by Published on 01-07-2013 09:00 AM

Happy New Year Readers! If your resolutions included more civic involvement, here's your first chance to attend a town meeting.

The following agenda can be found on the Town of LG website here:

Due to the length of our agenda and in fairness to later items on the agenda, the audience is requested to make their comments as brief and precise as possible, and limit them to 3 minutes or less.

AGENDA
    TOWN OF LOS GATOS
    PLANNING COMMISSION MEETING
    TOWN COUNCIL CHAMBERS
    110 E. MAIN STREET
    WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 9, 2013
    7:00 P.M.

ROLL CALL

by Published on 12-21-2012 11:00 PM
    Article Preview

The following press release was received from the Los Gatos/Monte Sereno Police Department.
    by Published on 12-01-2012 08:00 PM

The following agenda can be found on the Town of Los Gatos website:

TOWN OF LOS GATOS
    TOWN COUNCIL/SUCCESSOR AGENCY MEETING
    MONDAY, DECEMBER 3, 2012 -- 7:00 P.M.

MEETING CALLED TO ORDER

ROLL CALL

PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE

Jaan Jafri, Daves Avenue Elementary School

by Published on 11-30-2012 01:15 PM

The Children’s Holiday and Christmas Parade will go on as planned tomorrow, Saturday, December 1, at 11 a.m., continuing a long “rain or shine” tradition.

Tonight’s planned tree lighting event, however, has been postponed for a week due to the current storm. Sharon Childs, Executive Director of the Los Gatos Community Foundation, made the following announcement:

Due to the current storm hitting the town of Los Gatos and the Town Plaza being flooded tonight’s Tree Lighting has been postponed to next Friday, December 7th.

by Published on 11-30-2012 08:25 AM

The following press release regarding a homicide in Monte Sereno was received from the Los Gatos/Monte Sereno Police Department:
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast