• StorySnoops

Published on 01-26-2013 06:00 PM
    Article Preview

InsideLG is lucky to feature Story Snoops, a local website providing parents and children with reviews and guidance on children's literature.

The ALA will be announcing their awards on January 28th, and we will soon learn who will win this year’s Newbery Award.

I have been
    hesitant to make predictions in the past becomes sometimes those winners come straight out of left field and I never could have guessed them! But where is the fun in that? There are some solid books from 2012 that most would agree deserve, if not the Newbery Medal, then perhaps a Newbery Honor award. These are just my opinions however, so don’t laugh at me if I completely miss the mark come January 28th. With that disclaimer, I bring you my darlings for the 2013 Newbery Award.

by Published on 11-20-2012 12:09 PM
    Article Preview

Every week, InsideLG features StorySnoops, a Los Gatos based Company. To find out more information, please click HERE.

As this holiday in particular is one on which we count our blessings, I am going to start by being thankful for my fellow Snoops. Because of what we have collectively created, I am thankful that every day I get to do what I love and I get to share it with people who share my vision and my passion for books and reading. Thank you for being everything that you are ladies!

In the world of children’s and young adult literature, there is much to be thankful for! I am thankful for the truly exceptional books I have read for this site – for the ones that reminded me of valuable lessons, for the ones that brought me to tears, for the ones that made me laugh out loud, and for some remarkable characters that I will never forget.

by Published on 11-12-2012 05:30 AM
    Article Preview

Every Monday and Friday, InsideLG features StorySnoops, a Los Gatos based
    Company. To find out more information, please click HERE.

I recently finished Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn and really loved it. I was completely engrossed from start to finish. I may have loved it a bit too much because I started feeling sorry for myself about the lack of literature written for adults in my must read pile. Being an optimistic person (and since I really have no choice), I realized that there a quite a few books I have read for StorySnoops that I actually would have chosen to read had I not been a writer of children’s book reviews. Here are some of the books we Snoops have read that may be enjoyed by teens and adults alike. Let us know what books for teens you’ve enjoyed. We’d love to add some slam-dunks to our piles!
    - Jen, StorySnoop

by Published on 10-29-2012 08:25 PM
    Article Preview

Every Monday and Friday, InsideLG features StorySnoops, a Los Gatos based Company. To find out more information, please click HERE.

I think I can speak for all of the StorySnoops when I say that we are very fired up that our local heroes, the San Francisco Giants, have won the World Series! Woo hoo! The Bay Area is celebrating tonight! And because we are book people, we are hoping that maybe, just maybe, a kid you know will be inspired to pick up a baseball-themed book after watching the series. The books listed below cover all of the bases (sorry, couldn’t resist) and run the gamut from detailed baseball-game-playing books to books featuring the mega-fan, or maybe just a nice subplot involving baseball. Regardless, we enjoyed these books and hope they hit a home run (oh jeez, sorry!) with the young sports fan in your life.

Enjoy!
    -Eden, StorySnoop
    by Published on 10-05-2012 10:35 AM
    Article Preview

Every Monday and Friday, InsideLG features StorySnoops, a Los Gatos based Company. To find out more information, please click HERE. Unfortunately, we didn't get every day posted, but here's one more to enjoy!

In the spirit of Banned Books Week, StorySnoops is hosting a retrospective of some of our favorite “frequently-challenged” author interviews and book reviews. BBW is the American Library Association’s annual event celebrating the freedom to read and the importance of the First Amendment. It highlights the benefits of free and open access to information while drawing attention to the harms of censorship by spotlighting actual or attempted bannings of books across the United States. Check out the ALA timeline, showing significant banned and challenged books over the past 30 years. These are some of our all-time favorites—can you imagine someone denying you access to these books?

Our guest today is Lois Lowry, the award-winning author of more than thirty books for children, including one of the most frequently challenged books for the past decade, The Giver.
    by Published on 10-02-2012 04:04 PM
    Article Preview

Every Monday and Friday, InsideLG features StorySnoops, a Los Gatos based Company. To find out more information, please click HERE. This week, we'll be featuring StorySnoops everyday as they interview Banned Book authors.

In the spirit of Banned Books Week, StorySnoops is hosting a retrospective of some of our favorite “frequently-challenged” author interviews and book reviews. BBW is the American Library Association’s annual event celebrating the freedom to read and the importance of the First Amendment. It highlights the benefits of free and open access to information while drawing attention to the harms of censorship by spotlighting actual or attempted bannings of books across the United States. Check out this ALA timeline, showing significant banned and challenged books over the past 30 years. These are some of our all-time favorites—can you imagine someone denying you access to these books?

Phyllis Reynolds Naylor is a prolific children’s author, well known for her trilogy, Shiloh, a 1992 Newbery Medal winner. She has also won two Edgar Awards in the Best Juvenile Mystery category. Phyllis writes the popular Alice series, for which ...
    by Published on 10-01-2012 09:11 AM
    Article Preview

Every Monday and Friday, InsideLG features StorySnoops, a Los Gatos based Company. To find out more information, please click HERE. This week, we'll be featuring StorySnoops everyday as they interview Banned Book authors.

In the spirit of Banned Books Week, StorySnoops is hosting a retrospective of some of our favorite “frequently-challenged” author interviews and book reviews. BBW is the American Library Association’s annual event celebrating the freedom to read and the importance of the First Amendment. It highlights the benefits of free and open access to information while drawing attention to the harms of censorship by spotlighting actual or attempted bannings of books across the United States. Check out this ALA timeline, showing significant banned and challenged books over the past 30 years. These are some of our all-time favorites—can you imagine someone denying you access to these books?

Our guest today is beloved author Judy Blume. More than 80 million copies of her books have been sold and her works have been translated into 31 languages. This highly acclaimed writer is the recipient of the Margaret A. Edwards Award for Lifetime Achievement, ...
    by Published on 10-01-2012 09:02 AM
    Article Preview

I don’t know about you, but when I was in middle school, I thought I was getting away with murder when I read Forever, by Judy ...
    by Published on 09-28-2012 06:00 AM
    Article Preview

Every Monday and Friday, InsideLG features StorySnoops, a Los Gatos based Company. To find out more information, please click HERE.

As I sit and watch my teenaged daughter working hard at doing her homework every night, it occurs to me that she is a smart girl. I’m proud of her, as I’m sure you are of the smart girls you have in your house, or elsewhere in your life. The way the social culture works these days, it’s unfortunately not the first quality that most girls will say they want to have though. One not-so-subtle way that I know of to show my daughter how much I value this quality (because God forbid, if I just come right out and say it, I’m SO uncool) is to suggest books to her that feature smart girls. I love a main character who wins by using her brain. I hope you do too!

by Published on 09-24-2012 06:00 AM
    Article Preview

We’ve said it before and we will say it again: at StorySnoops, one of the things we love about books is that they teach empathy. And one thing that every kid feels at one time or another is that he or she doesn’t fit in.

In our book selection below, the characters in these books REALLY don’t fit in. It is not always easy to be different, especially when you are a child. However, the super characters in these books come to learn that it is their own distinctive qualities that eventually make them special – and eventually maybe even cool with the “in” crowd.
    by Published on 09-21-2012 03:43 PM
    Article Preview

Boy do we love our animals at my house. It is such a rewarding part of growing up to have a special relationship with a pet–an experience I certainly had, and one that I hope my children will treasure as well.

If you have an animal-lover in your house, you might want to take a look at the books on this list, which features animals portrayed in three ways. First, there are the obligatory books with the animals as adventure characters (they talk, experience the action, are the heroes etc.), then there are the books where the adventures involve animals or are motivated by them (think: must rescue dog from bad situation, adventure ensues…), and then my personal favorites are the books where there is a special relationship between human and animal (these are a tad more serious–no talking critters here!). Bottom line, whatever kind of animal story your young reader prefers, we’ve got a book for that. And never fear, we know that animal-lovers can be among our most sensitive readers, so we always try to indicate in our Scoop if there is something that might bring tears, just in case you want to be ready with a box of tissues, or a shoulder to cry on.
    by Published on 09-17-2012 09:25 AM
    Article Preview

This marks the 30th Anniversary of the American Library Association’s annual event celebrating the freedom to read and the importance of the First Amendment. Banned Books Week highlights the benefits of free and open access to information while drawing attention to the harms of censorship by spotlighting actual or attempted bannings of books across the United States. to commemorate the occasion, the ALA has created a timeline of significant banned and challenged books for each of the past 30 years. It turns out that many of the books featured on the timeline are among our favorites. Click on the book covers and find out what we have to say about these books that would have been sorely missed had we not had the opportunity to read them.
    Published on 09-03-2012 10:42 AM
    Article Preview

As we mentioned earlier this week, we’ve been working hard here at StorySnoops, reading everything we can get our hands on, so that we can bring you our favorite books that we think are must-haves for the classroom this year. Tuesday we published our lists of books that would be great for book reports for elementary, middle and high school students, and today we bring you some good choices for outside reading–maybe a bit lighter, or more enticing for a reluctant reader–in other words, something to make it easy to fill up that nightly reading log!
    Published on 08-27-2012 10:52 AM
    Article Preview

We at StorySnoops frequently sing the praises of the books we’ve read. But let’s be honest, they’re not all literary treasures. We each read A LOT of children’s books, so there are bound to be some duds.

Hundreds of children’s books later, I seem to have developed a list of literary pet peeves–those phrases or patterns that keep rearing their ugly heads and start to get more than a bit annoying. Without naming names, here are a few.

Pet Peeve #1 — Unrealistic Phrases

A couple of phrases are surprisingly common in teen romances. So much so, that I’ve come to expect them. For example…

“She peered up at him through her lashes.”

For me, it is physically impossible to peer at anything through my eyelashes. And I’m sure that the facial contortions resulting from attempting this feat can hardly be considered fetching.

“She chewed on her lower lip.”

Really? Who actually does this? It’s completely awkward and painful for more than a second ...
    by Published on 07-23-2012 04:15 PM
    Article Preview

Some books just need to be written. I’m not sure how many coming of age books feature a lesbian protagonist, but any adolescent who is questioning their identity, sexual or otherwise, needs to get their hands on The Miseducation of Cameron Post. I first became aware of this book when I heard the author, Emily M. Danforth, speaking on NPR about her own early model for lesbianism, the main character in Rita Mae Brown’s Rubyfruit Jungle. Ms. Danforth’s insights had me rushing to the bookstore.

After twelve-year-old Cameron Post’s parents die in a car crash, she is completely convinced that she caused the accident, even though she was hundreds of miles away. Their deaths can only be punishment for Cam’s behavior, because on the day of the crash, she was busy kissing her best friend Irene. Knowing she cannot possibly be Irene’s friend any longer, Cam becomes withdrawn, numbing herself with an endless marathon of movies ...

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast