• Around Town

by Published on 04-15-2014 12:00 PM
    Article Preview

The Los Gatos Kiwanis will be hosting the second annual Egg Hunt on the front lawn of Los Gatos High School on Saturday, April 19th. The younger kids, ages 2-6, will begin hunting at 10am, with the 7-10 yr olds joining the fun at 10:30. Participants should bring their own Easter baskets.

by Published on 11-30-2012 01:15 PM

The Children’s Holiday and Christmas Parade will go on as planned tomorrow, Saturday, December 1, at 11 a.m., continuing a long “rain or shine” tradition.

Tonight’s planned tree lighting event, however, has been postponed for a week due to the current storm. Sharon Childs, Executive Director of the Los Gatos Community Foundation, made the following announcement:

Due to the current storm hitting the town of Los Gatos and the Town Plaza being flooded tonight’s Tree Lighting has been postponed to next Friday, December 7th.

by Published on 11-28-2012 02:00 PM
    Article Preview

Thanks to the reader that sent this tip in - Los Gatos was featured on Good Morning America, with a story about Katsu. The new restaurant, occupying the space formerly known as Valeriano's, is making the news with a $1200 dinner.

photo credit: gma.yahoo.com

Other readers have sent us notes about the $27 glass of wine, the $150 sashimi, and the mad dash to Pizza My Heart to quell their hungry belly. Have you been to Katsu? What do you think, is this an addition to our local scene that downtown needed?

To see the full report, click here. ...
    by Published on 11-17-2012 08:55 PM
    Article Preview

Come out and support Second Harvest Food bank by dropping off a few cans at Kitsch Couture.
    We have 3 barrels and are hoping that they are filled before they pick up on the 11/21

We are also participating with One Warm Coat this season. This organization collects coats for those in need during the winter months. So here's your chance to clean out those old coats and donate them to keep someone else warm this season.

We will be accepting donations at Kitsch Couture, on December 14 & 15th and receive 25% off a coat or sweater for participating.

Published on 10-24-2012 09:10 PM
    Article Preview

Everyone is invited to attend the opening ceremonies for the Los Gatos Creekside Sports Park, 930 University Avenue, this Saturday, October 27, at 10 a.m. Mayor Steve Rice will speak, and radio personality Kim Vestal will emcee. Justine Lauren will sing the national anthem and the Los Gatos High School cheerleaders will perform. The brand new soccer field will see its first official United Soccer League games at 1:30 and 4 p.m.
    Published on 10-24-2012 08:58 PM
    Article Preview

Architect Christopher Noll, AIA, headlined a tour of the Los Gatos Public Library last Friday. The event, sponsored by the Friends of the Library, featured artist Ben Phipps and a video hookup with artist Sheri Simons. Librarian Henry Bankhead hosted, and managed the video chat. Carol Hamilton, president of the Friends, introduced the evening.

Architect Christopher Noll explains the concepts behind the library's design

Noll, the principal architect of the new library, expanded on the metaphor of the building as a lantern, a largely transparent structure that serves as a beacon for the community at night and lets the sunlight illuminate the knowledge within during the day. Noll & Tam studied the new building’s relationship with the existing civic center closely and tried to provide a pleasing complement rather than turn away from and ignore the older complex. The view of the new library from the fountain plaza shows how compatibly the contrast turned out. Where the award-winning 1965 buildings seem closed in and half-buried, the library is open and slightly raised. The library is transparent, not opaque. Instead of red brick and concrete, the library uses redwood and stone.

The concept for the new building addresses the present and future, rather than the town’s historical architecture, but avoids futurism’s sterile and cold feeling in favor of warm and inviting, as expressed in shapes, spaces, and materials. From the beginning, the project aimed for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification. Buildings that meet LEED qualifications, as established by the United States Green Building Council, consume energy wisely ...
    by Published on 09-27-2012 05:40 PM
    Article Preview

A press release from CASA:

NATIONAL TAKE BACK DAY: Saturday, September 29!

Event Co-Sponsored by CASA-Community Against Substance Abuse, Los Gatos-Monte Sereno Sereno Police Department, and West Valley Clean Water Program.

Los Gatos’ long standing non-profit CASA-Community Against Substance Abuse and Los Gatos Monte Sereno Police Department will host their fifth event to educate our community about the proper way to dispose of unused prescription drugs, this time partnering with the DEA’s National Take Back Day. Saturday’s Take Back day will allow the community the opportunity to prevent pill abuse and theft by ridding their homes of potentially dangerous expired, unused or unwanted prescription drugs. The service is free and anonymous, no questions asked.

Americans participating in the Drug Enforcement Administration’s previous Take Back Days turned in nearly 1.6 million pounds--almost 774 tons--of prescription drugs at over 5,500 sites nationwide. Last spring, Los Gatos-Monte Sereno disposed of 143 pounds, helping to combat the misuse of prescription drugs within our community.

by Published on 09-22-2012 03:45 PM
    Article Preview

...I would buy the Cats Estate. No joke. It's an awesome property and has amazing history to boot. We all have dreams.

Because I couldn't fit the advertisement into InsideLG's format, please feel free to scroll left and right by using the scroll bar at the bottom of the page.

by Published on 09-21-2012 11:21 AM
    Article Preview

Los Gatos High School Field Hockey

Press Release - September 17, 2012
    Annual Fundraiser – Chicks with Sticks Steak Dinner on October 5, 2012

On Friday, October 5, 2012 the LGHS Field Hockey team is holding its annual steak dinner fundraiser. It will be held from 5:00pm to 7:00pm (before the varsity football game) in the patio area outside the Home Economics room in the Science building.

Each year, this event brings over 700 community members together for a delicious meal. Tickets are $15 each, which includes a meal featuring Tri-tip steak from Los Gatos Meats, home-cooked ranch beans, salad, bread, drinks, and yummy desserts donated by Nothing Bundt Cakes, Los Gatos.

It is recommended that tickets are purchased ahead, as this popular event typically sells out. Tickets can be purchased from any LGHS Field Hockey player, or by contacting Ticket Captain Suzie Nguyen at lgfh@gatosgirl.com.

Please join neighbors and friends for an evening of spirited fun and fabulous food in support of this amazing
    by Published on 09-05-2012 03:20 PM
    Article Preview

I am thrilled with the Town Council's decision to unanimously pass through Lexington House. With 26 people speaking in favor, and only one against, the Town Council struggled with the vote because Lexington House is a restaurant replacing retail.

Stephen Shelton and Jimmy Marino's biggest argument against Ordinance 2021, an ordinance that "discourages" displacement of retail uses with restaurant uses, is that the former Domus has been split into 5 units. The ratio will now be 4 retail to 1 restaurant. Not only that, Lexington House will only take over about 1400 square feet, which is less than 20% of the original Domus space.

Everyone knows I am always complaining that there isn't enough outdoor seating. Well, guess what? Lexington House will have just that!

Asking only for 22 seats, Jimmy Marino stated, Lexington House, "will be a welcoming, small, communal, and vibrant place, just like the town of Los Gatos."

To be perfectly honest, I am a bit busy this week and can't get into the nitty gritty of the meeting. Just know,
    by Published on 09-03-2012 09:25 PM

Warning before reading: In full disclosure, the first video does contain kissing; however, I chose only SFW (suitable for work) videos. I just like to be upfront as this isn't regular InsideLG material.

Let’s start from the beginning of this story that ended with me watching an x-rated show while the kids were at school.

My sister Michelle, who lives in Philadelphia, called the other day and asked if I knew a certain family in Los Gatos. Michelle didn’t grow up in LG (she attended Leigh) and I was confused as to why she was inquiring about a local family. Well, it turns out that Showtime has a reality series called Polyamory: Married and Dating that features former Los Gatos residents. In fact, Showtime filmed in Los Gatos! And, while I have only met the guy featured in the show, Anthony, a few times, I was friends with his brother. In fact, they grew up just a few streets from where I live now.

Before I move on with this article, I need to be perfectly clear. I was raised in a family that accepts everyone. As long as consenting adults are involved and no children are being hurt, I pass no judgment on how people live their life. Everyone deserves the right to be happy.

I’m not a TV junkie. I can’t stand reality shows and would much rather have the stereo on any day than have the background noise of an annoying TV. When my sister called and told me the scoop, I thought about calling DirectTV and ordering Showtime asap. However, as luck would have it, one of my good friends has Showtime and offered to download the entire series. And, before you say that I need to get a life, I was conducting important research for InsideLG – not just sitting around watching a TV show with “strong sexual content” while eating bon bons. Well, ok, truth be told, cupcakes and coffee were involved.

What does “polyamorous” mean, you ask? According to Urban Dictionary, polyamory is “The practice, state or ability of having more than one sexual loving relationship at the same time, with the full knowledge and consent of all partners involved.”
    by Published on 09-03-2012 09:30 AM
    Article Preview

As most of you know, I love Cin-Cin Winebar and Restaurant. The bartenders are friendly, the staff is helpful, and the food is divine.

Chef Chris and I attended LGHS together and have been friends for years. However, I have unfortunate news. I spoke with Chef Chris the other day and he told me he was ready to move on. Since that time, he posted the following message on Cin-Cin's facebook website:

Hi Everyone!

I've spent a wonderful four+ years creating and cooking for all of you! It's been an awesome ride. After much thought I have decided to move on. Looking forward to spending more time with my family, furthermore pursuing my lifelong dreams and aspirations through cooking. I've cared about each and everyone of you who have walked through our doors and want to thank you for all for yoursupport. I'm extremely proud of all that I have accomplished here and wish Cin-Cin continued success and sustained popularity. I will be departing the first part of October so I hope to be able to say goodbye to all who have made my time here an absolute pleasure!
    by Published on 08-27-2012 11:20 AM

Sorry for the late notice. I've been a little busy dealing with the first week back to school and "dirty politics."

The following information can be found on the Town's website:

The Town of Los Gatos will prepare an Environmental Impact Report for the Albright Office Park, and will be holding a scoping meeting to receive comments regarding the scope and content of the environmental information to be addressed.

The scoping meeting will be held on Monday, August 27, 2012, at 6:00 p.m., in the Town Council Chambers, 110 E. Main Street.

Comments may be given at the scoping meeting or in writing to Joel Paulson, Senior Planner, Town of Los Gatos, Community Development Department, 110 E. Main Street, Los Gatos, CA 95030 by September 4, 2012, at 5:00 p.m.

Project Location: 90-160 Albright Way and 14600 Winchester Blvd.
    by Published on 08-21-2012 05:10 PM
    Article Preview

The kids are off to school and I have time to post on InsideLG again. With so much negativity in the air, I want to focus on something fun.

Marc Donahue has created yet another video... err, I mean, masterpiece. I'm Facebook buddies with Marc and have been following this project for months. Well, I'm glad to say, it was well worth the wait.

The video not only highlights local spots in LG, but it also features songs performed by Los Gatos' dredg.

For your viewing pleasure, here's Dream Music: Part 2:
    by Published on 08-21-2012 09:00 AM

A meeting of the North 40 Specific Plan Advisory Committee will be held:

Tuesday, August 21, 2012
    6:00-9:00 p.m.
    Town Council Chambers
    110 E. Main Street (Downstairs)

Here's the staff report and exhibits:

N. 40 AC Staff Report - August 21, 2012

And, here's the agenda:

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast