• LG Resident Opinion: NOT IN MY DOWNTOWN! - submitted by Iddo Hadar

NOT IN MY DOWNTOWN!
    Los Gatos Town's Planning Commission pushes affordable housing away

Recently the Los Gatos Town’s Planning Commission was called upon to to plan for future affordable income housing units throughout Town. The commission’s response was a resounding “Not In My Downtown!” Paying only lip service to the concept of building affordable housing IN Los Gatos, the Commission’s plan-which will come before Town Council within a few weeks- is to essentially dump hundreds of low-income housing units in the “faraway lands” north of highway 85.

The Planning Commission’s proposal to segregate low-income housing primarily into these “remote” parts of Los Gatos is mind-boggling, since it

• exacerbates income disparity, by keeping future affordable housing away from affluent parts of town
    • worsens congestion, by keeping future affordable housing away from the less-dense parts of town
    • introduces a community divide, by maintaining future affordable housing away from the predominantly white neighborhoods of town

During a November 14 public hearing, the Commission heard broad and strong feedback from the local community about the implications of the Commission’s lopsided plan; the Commission also received a note from the Campbell School District warning the Commission of the implications of its plan on local schools. However, the Commission brushed aside the community feedback, ignored the local school warnings, and rushed through the decision process, approved a hastily-written Environment Impact Report (without any comment or edit -- very unusual for the Commission) and essentially decided to let the Town Council make the call (in an upcoming meeting, Jan. 22).

This plan makes no sense! It would segregate the community, load up local schools, drive up traffic congestion in our busiest intersections and routes, and hurt the environment; it will also do a disservice to the potential low-income residents whom we all would like to accommodate in Los Gatos.

We -- a group of local residents -- have put together significant analysis showing the bias in the Commission's decision; we urge everyone to learn more about this situation by contacting our neighborhood group, at
    ChallengePlans@Outlook.com.

- Iddo Hadar (on behalf of local residents)

If you would like to submit an article, please email me: kir@insidelg.com

Comments 35 Comments
      Unregistered -
      why would anybody be in favor of this proposal? I don't understand how this is a positive for the town. Can anybody explain how this proposal benefits the town?
      Unregistered -
      there's already a place for low-income housing - SAN JOSE

no one has yet to tell me why a town of 50k residents is responsible for solving housing disparity in california. none of these people will work in town...they'll just be more commuters.

go look at the megan's law map for different parts of the bay area, which indicates where known seex offenders reside: http://meganslaw.ca.gov/. you'll never feel bad about being a housing snob again
      Unregistered -
      what's wrong with being a "housing snob"? Three things are guaranteed in the Constitution: Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Happiness. Nobody ever said that you get to live wherever you want.

I think people should work hard and make more money if they want to live in Los Gatos. Nothing racist or sexist or prejudiced about it...I simply want my kids to be surrounded by people that achieved something in their life
      LG Old Timer -
      The last thing we need is a ghetto in Los Gatos. Town Council, please choose business or market-price housing development instead
      Unregistered -
      Los Gatos needs a community center. We need more basketball gyms in town. We made one sports field after years of struggle....but with a lot more kids we now need more parks and sporting facilities. The Town Council should require any new development to include this.
      Unregistered -
      Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
      what's wrong with being a "housing snob"? Three things are guaranteed in the Constitution: Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Happiness. Nobody ever said that you get to live wherever you want.

I think people should work hard and make more money if they want to live in Los Gatos. Nothing racist or sexist or prejudiced about it...I simply want my kids to be surrounded by people that achieved something in their life
      So making more money equates to achieving something. Guess Paris Hilton and the Kardashians would fit right in here.
      Unregistered -
      Los Gatos needs a community center. We need more basketball gyms in town. We made one sports field after years of struggle....but with a lot more kids we now need more parks and sporting facilities. The Town Council should require any new development to include this.
      Diana Abbatti, superintendent of LGUSD, is going to build one for you once she raises $5m to build it on the fisher campus. This is her current vision for the schools.
      Unregistered -
      Abbatti is going to be too busy cramming kids 35 to a class when all this high density housing goes in, she won't have time to worry about a new gym for Fisher. Fisher will have to be a 4th - 8th school with every square foot of the field covered in portables. Not a field of dreams, a field of trailerpark nightmares.
      Unregistered -
      We already have a gym at Fisher that is scheduled 18 hours a day. We need another gym in town, not a remodel on the gym that we have.
      Unregistered -
      The placement of 250 homes, in high density, at one end of town is a bigger problem than the gym. Lark Ave is difficult, if not impossible, to widen. Traffic at this end of town is horrible already. Add the new Netflix campus going in to one end of Lark, and the North 40 (700 homes?) at the other end, to Lark Ave traffic. It's not always about the schools, this will impact everyone who wants to get around, who lives in Monte Sereno and the north end of LG. The people who don't like the schools can find other alternatives. What is my alternative to get to the other end of Lark Avenue when you add all this population to one confined area?
      Unregistered -
      The Council does not seem to care about traffic patterns or school overcrowding. What do they care about? What are their priorities? I am having trouble understanding why all these housing projects keep getting approved.
      LG Wildcat -
      Draw the line! No more housing! ESPECIALLY low income high density housing!
      Unregistered -
      Yeah! Nobody wants THOSE people in OUR town! While we're at it, let's check out their transcripts before we let THOSE people into OUR schools! We don't want any low-life underachievers killing OUR test scores! Oh, and we'd better have a checklist for which cars we should allow to drive through OUR town. We don't want any of THOSE bargain jalopies ruining the beauty of OUR beautiful parking lots. Don't get me started about which religions we should allow, or colors of skin...

You people disgust me.
      Unregistered -
      Yeah! Nobody wants THOSE people in OUR town! While we're at it, let's check out their transcripts before we let THOSE people into OUR schools! We don't want any low-life underachievers killing OUR test scores! Oh, and we'd better have a checklist for which cars we should allow to drive through OUR town. We don't want any of THOSE bargain jalopies ruining the beauty of OUR beautiful parking lots. Don't get me started about which religions we should allow, or colors of skin...

You people disgust me.
      Couldn't agree more!!
      Unregistered -

You people disgust me.
      I may not be "you people"....you let me know. I think that high density housing should be spread out all over town, not clustered at one end of town. And I think 300 children, even ones who qualify for MENSA, would overwhelm our schools and have a negative impact. This is not, for me, about any THOSE people, it's just total numbers and concentration in one small area.
      Unregistered -
      We already have higher density housing and inexpensive apartments on Town Terrace and along Carlton and off Blossom Hill Road. Our town is losing its small-town feeling and if we add too many people we will end up with all of the traffic and crime and overcrowding problems of a major city.

It's not THOSE PEOPLE. It's any more people that will be a problem.
      Unregistered -
      Way to keep it classy, Los Gatos residents. Snobs.
      Unregistered -
      Most people that moved to LG in the past 20 years made a conscious choice to spend 20-30% more for their house, in order to live here. We all have different reasons for doing so. You can call people "snobs" but it doesn't change the simple fact that people don't want the town to change dramatically into something else.
      LG Homeowner -
      I paid $200K more for my house to live in Los Gatos. I could have lived in Willow Glen with a bigger yard and a bigger house for less money.

I don't want to lose that value in my house by creating a slum in Los Gatos
      Unregistered -
      Scream and Yell all you want at the Planners and Town Council. The STATE is requiring this in all affluent communities. You all insist on voting for ultra liberals in Sacramento, and then don't like the rules they make. Duh! Wake up sheep. You are leading yourselves to slaughter!
    Comments Leave Comment

Click here to log in

The Los Gatos High mascot is the...