• Gun Shop in LG?

While I'm on a roll, I decided to write another quick article about the new gun shop in LG. I live in an awesome little community inside Los Gatos that has a neighborhood forum. Every now and then a hot topic catches fire and people get riled up. I enjoy being a part of the forum because I can read all sides of the story AND neighbors use their real names. We have a volunteer who verifies that members are in fact residents of our little sub-community. Really, I am very fortunate to live where I do.

Today, someone shared an article from the Patch that stated there is a new gun store in town on University. "Oh boy" I thought to myself, "this is going to be a good one." Was I ever right!

The new gun store (Full disclaimer: I have not verified the gun store is actually there, I'm going off the Patch article) is located where Morrow's Automotive was previously housed.

So, my question to you: How do you feel about having a gun shop in Los Gatos?

Comments 43 Comments
      Unregistered -
      This town has gone crazy.
      Unregistered -
      I think it's a great idea.
      Unregistered -
      Why is it easier to open a gun shop than a wine bar? Why so much action to ban food trucks, but allow a gun shop? Why did the Town Council take specific measures to ban medical marijuana, with no pending application, but no limits on gun shops? This place has interesting priorities, to say the least. Nail salons have more regulation. And heaven forbid - a massage parlor where SEX is a service!!! My goodness!!

Wow.
      Regular Guy -
      Give me a break. Why do you put gun shops on the same level with prostitution and marijuana dealers?

The Founding Fathers did not put prostitution in the Constitution, but they did enshrine the right to bear arms.

Our culture has gone soft in the head. If you think that guns kill people, you haven't been using your brain. People kill people. NFL linebackers can pretty much kill anybody they want to kill, using their bare hands. Guns actually make it easier for normal people to stand up to bullies.

In Texas, people own guns and there is less crime. In Switzerland, everyone has a machine gun and there is essentially no crime. Look at the real world before you decide that gun shops are bad things.
      Dave M -
      Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea. I have absolutely no problems with a gun store, and will swing by to check out the selection. As to why there are so many restrictions on everything else? Great question. But fyi, a gun store is not 'easy' to open, especially in this state.
      Unregistered -
      Curious about the sex store mentioned above. Where can one go for a "rub and tug?' Or a "rub and plug?" In Los Gatos?
      Unregistered -
      Quote Originally Posted by Regular Guy View Post
      Give me a break. Why do you put gun shops on the same level with prostitution and marijuana dealers?

The Founding Fathers did not put prostitution in the Constitution, but they did enshrine the right to bear arms.

Our culture has gone soft in the head. If you think that guns kill people, you haven't been using your brain. People kill people. NFL linebackers can pretty much kill anybody they want to kill, using their bare hands. Guns actually make it easier for normal people to stand up to bullies.

In Texas, people own guns and there is less crime. In Switzerland, everyone has a machine gun and there is essentially no crime. Look at the real world before you decide that gun shops are bad things.
      I did not mean to put gun shops on the same level as sex and pot. I meant to point out that the process for a new food establishment, that threatens to upset the balance of shops in our precious downtown is more rigorous than the process for a gun shop.
      NIMBY -
      Call me a snob, but I don't want a gun shop in our town. I also don't want a pawn shop, check cashing/payroll joint, massage parlor or head shop either. This not about gun rights gentlemen, but the fact of the matter is that all of these types of establishments are low class and not reflective of the ethics and standards of most of the residents of the town. Do you see gun shops in Palo Alto, Los Altos, Woodside? No, you don't. If you want to own your gun, or you want any of the other services listed above, that's fine, but I don't want you to buy it/them in my backyard in front of my children. Go to Campbell or Cupertino and do your gun shopping. They are only a few miles away. Maybe those communities values are more suited to you, but I moved to LG as a wholesome and safe place to raise my children. Don't even think about involking 2nd Amendment. You have the right to own your killing machine and I have a right to speak my mind.
      Unregistered -

this is about selling guns, not owning them. i have no idea why people keep trotting out the 2nd amendment.
      Unregistered -
      Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
      Call me a snob, but I don't want a gun shop in our town. I also don't want a pawn shop, check cashing/payroll joint, massage parlor or head shop either. This not about gun rights gentlemen, but the fact of the matter is that all of these types of establishments are low class and not reflective of the ethics and standards of most of the residents of the town. Do you see gun shops in Palo Alto, Los Altos, Woodside? No, you don't. If you want to own your gun, or you want any of the other services listed above, that's fine, but I don't want you to buy it/them in my backyard in front of my children. Go to Campbell or Cupertino and do your gun shopping. They are only a few miles away. Maybe those communities values are more suited to you, but I moved to LG as a wholesome and safe place to raise my children. Don't even think about involking 2nd Amendment. You have the right to own your killing machine and I have a right to speak my mind.
      i basically agree. there are no lack of gun shops in the south bay. no prospective gun owner is ever more than twenty miles away from a gun shop in the south bay. this is not a 2nd amendment issue, the issue is the character of the town. now to be certain, where this shop is located is not prime LG real estate, but i feel that inevitably this area will end up with a check-cashing outlet and liquor store.

go look at el camino in santa clara if you want to see when you let anyone set up shop. gun shops, pawn shops, peep shows, liquor stores, massage parlors, adult movie stores...its basically an toilet.
      Unregistered -
      Hmmmm, so body shops, smog check stations, an auto detail shop, and a concrete contractor has now become high class in our town? Seriously, take a look at the surrounding businesses, it's not like they are opening on Santa Cruz Ave. Let them move in, and if they can't make a go of it then they will close up shop, just like the numerous art galleries, antique shops, boutiques, and other high class establishments that have folded in our town.
      Unregistered -
      Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
      Hmmmm, so body shops, smog check stations, an auto detail shop, and a concrete contractor has now become high class in our town? Seriously, take a look at the surrounding businesses, it's not like they are opening on Santa Cruz Ave. Let them move in, and if they can't make a go of it then they will close up shop, just like the numerous art galleries, antique shops, boutiques, and other high class establishments that have folded in our town.
      So if it's not Santa Cruz Ave, it basically doesn't matter? Stick the gun shops anywhere else and it's ok? I couldn't disagree more. We all need to care about the entire town, not just our little corner of downtown, or Almond Grove, or the Manor.
      Unregistered -
      What about the issue that it is within 1/2 block if kids walking to/from Fisher? If the store attracts unsavory persons- what about safety of our kids?
      Unregistered -
      What about the issue that it is within 1/2 block if kids walking to/from Fisher? If the store attracts unsavory persons- what about safety of our kids?
      more likely unsavory would buy on the street and not a legit business.
      Fisher Dad -
      To Unregistered 11:15:

Get a grip. Savory people buy guns in gun shops and show their ID. Unsavory people buy their guns in an alley.

You act like there are no guns in Los Gatos, and that somehow they will appear when there's a gun shop. Get real, the guns are under car seats throughout America, and many of them are in the hands of the unsavory people that you are so afraid of.

If you are paralyzed by fear, maybe you should get yourself a gun and practice with it.
      Unregistered -
      Amen to that Fisher dad.
      Unregistered -
      the likelihood of this happening here in LG just went from zero to more than zero.

http://news.yahoo.com/police-boy-7-s...200049283.html
      Sando -
      Folks, this is my first visit to this site, so I'm not familiar with how "thoughtful" (or not) a crowd this is, but at first glance, I've got to say I'm disappointed at how many with such strong opinions are "unregistered" and taking potshots from the shadows! Sorry, but I've got only one thing to say to you folks, and that is "grow a spine"! If you feel strongly about a topic, come out of the shadows, and let us know who you are and what you're about.

That said, let me be clear that I'm Steven Sanderson, 52-years old, married, California native, and I've been in this area all my life, and YES, I've lived specifically in LG for over a decade.

So, to this topic, having personally had years of law-enforcement experience behind me, a BA in psychology and an MBA, while also having spent the last 27-years in high-tech with IBM, HP and now Cisco, I have to side with comments from "Regular Guy" and "Fisher Dad" above. Believe me when I tell you, we (and right now I'll speak to Santa Clara County) have VERY strict gun laws for both purchase and use of firearms in this county. For example, do you know that even an ex-police-officer doesn't rate a CCW (Carry Concealed Weapon) permit in this county? We are more than strict! Yes, I agree with "Fisher Dad" that the guns are out there, whether legally or illegally procured, so don't even think for a foolish minute that not having a gun store in LG will make this a safer place!

So, I guess it all boils down to the topic of "is the trade of gun sales too unsavory for our quaint town of LG?" I personally think it's just as reputable as the tow-truck companies, law offices, hair and nail salons (OMG, how many are there,), body shops, restaurants etc. that make up our great town. And, I whole-heatedly agree with the comment of one of the "unregistered" shared above, stating: "let them move in, and if they can't make a go of it, they will close up shop".

Last comment (and always a favorite of mine), "better to have a gun and not need it, rather than to need a gun and not have it"! (legally, of course!) :-)

Steven Sanderson (unashamedly "registered")
      Unregistered -

Everyone in Switzerland has a machine gun? I'd like to see your documentation on that.
      Unregistered -
      Everyone in Switzerland has a machine gun? I'd like to see your documentation on that.
      Here ya go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_pol...in_Switzerland
    Comments Leave Comment

Click here to log in

MS stands for which city next to our town of Los Gatos?