• Los Gatos Most Expensive Meal on Good Morning America

Thanks to the reader that sent this tip in - Los Gatos was featured on Good Morning America, with a story about Katsu. The new restaurant, occupying the space formerly known as Valeriano's, is making the news with a $1200 dinner.

photo credit: gma.yahoo.com

Other readers have sent us notes about the $27 glass of wine, the $150 sashimi, and the mad dash to Pizza My Heart to quell their hungry belly. Have you been to Katsu? What do you think, is this an addition to our local scene that downtown needed?

To see the full report, click here.
    Comments 21 Comments
      Unregistered -
      Not at 1200 for a dinner-nothing is worth that-I say share to many who have nothing if you even think of spending that kind of money!
      Unregistered -
      Katsu adds to the obnoxious trend of the socially competitive bourgeoisie taking over this town with their Louis Vuitton's and ******* parking jobs. This town used to be friendly and adorable. Now, it's an embarrassment of riches. People are starving in this country and anyone who thinks it's acceptable to drop $1200 for a small dinner party is beyond selfish. To hell with them.
      Unregistered -
      Katsu takes away from downtown, from a restaurant I could see patronizing (Valeriano's), to one I would never dream of setting foot in. I wish something more realistic, less Las Vegas had moved in. I guess I'll just watch and see how long it lasts....good tax revenue hopefully.
      Unregistered -
      Nope, and why are they here? We need more places like Chipotles and Willow Street. After all, this is a city full of families, we are not Beverly Hills. It's a Beverly Hills wanna be apparently.
      PT Barnum -
      There's a sucker born every minute..
      Unregistered -
      The $1200 meal doesn't even look good!!
      Team Valerianos!!
      Unregistered -
      I personally won't be going to Katsu, but it's not their fault Valeriano's didn't last. I went to a private party at Valeriano's and the meals were slow and late, late, late. Kids' meals were slower and more late. I never went back. Katsu is obviously piggy backing on Manresa and will probably draw an out-of-town, special occasion clientele. If it lasts a year.
      Unregistered -
      I agree with 2:17 above, it's not any fault of Katsu that Valeriano's is gone. But I do think that if that location had been picked up by something more in my orbit, I would have tried the new place. As Katsu has gone in, from all I've heard, read, and seen on their FB page, no thanks. The person above who posted that downtown has essentially lost a restaurant spot, that's how I feel.
      Unregistered -
      When they make TV shows about Beverly Hills being outrageous and expensive, do you think it's good for business in Beverly Hills and shops on Rodeo Drive? Of course.

To the extent that this abomination brings prestige to Los Gatos, it's great. If it just seems ridiculous then it has no impact.
      Unregistered -
      Let the market determine what works. They just received quite a bit of free press, very savvy. Again, no one is forcing any of you to live in this town, if you feel it is taking the wrong direction you can either open your type of business of move to a less ritzy city. The fact is, Los Gatos is the 6th most expensive city in America to live, should having that type of restaurant surprise anyone on this board?

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-...-in-us-2012-11
      Perry Prince -
      Looks like a place for Silicone Valley rich nerds to get gold dug.
      Unregistered -
      $1200?! That's half my monthly budget for groceries! Before anyone starts bashing Katsu, let's keep in mind the tax dollars that they're bringing in. So I say "Thank you, Katsu for helping our town."
      stilladoll -
      Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
      $1200?! That's half my monthly budget for groceries! Before anyone starts bashing Katsu, let's keep in mind the tax dollars that they're bringing in. So I say "Thank you, Katsu for helping our town."
      Bravo - I totally agree with this comment. I don't plan to be eating at Katsu but I do appreciate the higher end business (and tax dollars) it should bring in. Yes, I'd also like some more mid-end restaurants in our town, but if someone wants to pay these higher prices, that's their business.
      Unregistered -
      if this plate is indeed full of world-class caviar, then the margin on this plate is low

a good jar of caviar (each plate above has about the same quantity), is $350-$500

i'm not saying i am "for" or "against" this, but by the numbers, it is not outrageous for what is being served

go to any of the top-tier restaurants in las vegas now and you can easily drop $2k for a couple on a testing menu with wine.
      Unregistered -
      Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
      this isn't "grocery food". guess what, wagyu beef is also more expensive than flank steak. opus one is more expensive than blue nun. ETC ETC.

this meal is obviously a "luxury indulgence" that will only be served rarely. ever been a nightclub in vegas? they charge $200 for a bottle of kettle one when purchased in the club. its not rare for people to walk out with a $15k bill for four hours of partying. same with any very-top-tier restaurant. these are supposed to be crazy indulgences, not a quick lunch with a friend
      Unregistered -
      and for all you "ah shucks!" ham-and-eggers bitching about los gatos "going ritzy" - MAYBE YOU NOTICED THE LAMBORGHINI DEALERSHIP????
      Unregistered -
      The Lamborghini dealership hasn't always been here genius.
      Unregistered -
      2:33 PM - YOU are the problem with this town. Spewing "aw shucks" and "going ritzy". Putting down the people who have been longer than you and making them out to be simpletons because they don't rake in millions a year. Clearly you're a transplant with no class.
      Unregistered -
      At least it isn't another chain store: I understand the property owners wanting high rents. In return we are beginning to lose our charm. "Westfield's Los Gatos".
      dos equis -
      looks like a place "the most interesting man in the world" would eat at.
    Comments Leave Comment

Click here to log in

The Los Gatos High mascot is the...