• Family Claims Nut Allergy Gets Kids Kicked out of Van Meter

The NBC11 website has the complete video from two reports, one aired Friday and the second one yesterday. InsideLG received emails with questions about the NBC news van stationed at Van Meter yesterday morning. And this afternoon, a reader sent us this photo, showing an LGPD officer asking the NBC11 news van to move their vehicle.

The following news story appeared on
    NBC11 (written by Stephanie Chuang):
    --------------------------------------------------------
    In a story we first told you on NBC Bay Area last Friday, the tension between one South Bay family and the Los Gatos Union School District (LGUSD) is coming to a head.

Tuesday morning, the Edwards family walked 9-year-old Ella and 7-year-old Sarah into the Van Meter Elementary school office – only to be greeted by the superintendent and two police officers.

“That’s when my heart sank, when I heard there were police officers just to prevent my girls from going to the school they belong in,” said Shuly Edwards, the girls’ mother, before she began to cry.

Edwards said she, her husband, and three young daughters have lived in a Los Gatos apartment since August 1st, as her sister rents out their Campbell house for her family of five. Edwards added that the family was able to successfully enroll the two girls at Van Meter before the August 20th school start date using PG&E and doctors bills, and that the superintendent only revoked the girls’ enrollment after the family pushed for more help for the nut allergies....

For the rest of the story, please visit
    NBC11. Did you see the police on campus? What are your thoughts?
    Comments 52 Comments
      Unregistered -
      The only way to motivate Diana Abbati to do anything: Threaten a lawsuit. If you guys are angry, then threaten the District with a class-action suit from the parents to force them to follow their policy.

It looks like they did a good job gathering the evidence against the Edwards family. But they got wimpy when all the news coverage and legal threats started.
      S. Moore -
      Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
      Yes the family was there. I was extremely disappointed to see them blatantly defying the rules. probably has something to do with their threats of litigation. The superintendent does have the facts straight about their false claims of residency. They are proven liars, forgers, and for sOme reason given time to look for a home. How's that going to work when everyone catches wind of the fact that you can attend our schools while "looking" for a house in Los Gatos?? Shameful. I'd like to see the District stick to their guns, kick them out permanently. Why aren't more people disgusted by these people? If everyone who cheated the system were gone, who knows, we might be back to small class sizes and a less dire financial situation. Get mad people!!!
      "These people" have a family name, The Edward's family and they don't deserve the accusations you are throwing at them without the lack of proper information. You only have half truths but very little is accurate. No, the family was not given time to look for a house, there lease in the district expired on the 31st of Oct and they needed to show residency on Nov. 1. Come on where is your common sense? Perhaps you lost that with your manners and inability to think critically before sitting behind a computer blogging about what you think you know. What evidence do you have that they are proven liars, forgers? Did you see any forged documents, do you know the terms of their lease? Did you follow every offer they made on a home? Did you know half the population of new families come into the district this way, leasing until they find a home to avoid moving their children twice. You should be worried about the people who are actually cheating and the district has received tips without the intensity of investigation of detailing this family experienced everyday over four weeks time. I wonder how much that cost the district? How about the people registered under two addresses? or the our a few of my children's friends using their Grandparent's addresses, I've reported two years ago. No detail PI on them, they still go to school everyday with mom or dad driving them to our school from E. San Jose.

Next time you decide to get on here sputtering half-truths of what you think you know, why don't you walk up to Shuly next time you see her and tell her what you think? I am sure she is very willing to answer all your questions. Why sit behind your computer speculating you have all the facts when two sides of the story exist and she is walking around campus daily.

For those of you who want to pitch fork this family and burn them at the stake, look in the mirror first and ask yourself are you happy the person who you've become?
      Unregistered -
      Quote Originally Posted by unregistered View Post
      the only way to motivate diana abbati to do anything: Threaten a lawsuit. If you guys are angry, then threaten the district with a class-action suit from the parents to force them to follow their policy.

It looks like they did a good job gathering the evidence against the edwards family. But they got wimpy when all the news coverage and legal threats started.
      real housewives of los gatos........

Ignorance and so much time on your hands.....go volunteer in the schools, make yourself useful in those ever so crowded classrooms full of cheating families.
      Unregistered -
      Quote Originally Posted by S. Moore View Post
      ... look in the mirror first and ask yourself are you happy the person who you've become?
      Periodically, we owe it to ourselves and those around us to ponder whether our strongest beliefs are, perhaps, delusional. I got a good laugh early this morning when I visited www.karlrove.com and found he was still predicting a Romney victory. However just now I checked it and well, Karl's photo doesn't look too happy and all it says is:

Not Found

Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here.
      Unregistered -
      real housewives of los gatos........

Ignorance and so much time on your hands.....go volunteer in the schools, make yourself useful in those ever so crowded classrooms full of cheating families.
      So true ! Thanks for calling it like it is. People should be contributing in a positive way instead of adding to the negative.
      Unregistered -
      Hi S. Moore. Yes, looking in the mirror, and I like who i am. I am a law abiding citizen. I work, I volunteer, I pay taxes, I pay property taxes, and I follow the rules. I don't rent an efficiency apartment to obtain an address to get my family into Los Gatos schools. I rent a house big enough for my family. By the way, I personally don't think an entire family can live in an efficiency apartment. Either do the "family" because they sleep elsewhere. But, you might think that is technically a fair way to get in the district. Critical thinking at work!!!! Am I still "sputtering half truths"? I have never been thrown out of a school. I don't parade my kids in front of media to make a point. And, as far as blogging is concerned...your rant is way longer than mine. I don't approve of people using grandparents' addresses either. But, such a story was not on NBC news depicting Los Gatos as a petty school who picks on allergies. The Edwards family did that.
      S Moore -
      Hi S. Moore. Yes, looking in the mirror, and I like who i am. I am a law abiding citizen. I work, I volunteer, I pay taxes, I pay property taxes, and I follow the rules. I don't rent an efficiency apartment to obtain an address to get my family into Los Gatos schools. I rent a house big enough for my family. By the way, I personally don't think an entire family can live in an efficiency apartment. Either do the "family" because they sleep elsewhere. But, you might think that is technically a fair way to get in the district. Critical thinking at work!!!! Am I still "sputtering half truths"? I have never been thrown out of a school. I don't parade my kids in front of media to make a point. And, as far as blogging is concerned...your rant is way longer than mine. I don't approve of people using grandparents' addresses either. But, such a story was not on NBC news depicting Los Gatos as a petty school who picks on allergies. The Edwards family did that.
      Nameless proud big home renter, the Edwards have a home right near mine. They are a law abiding citizens, hence they are still in school. Imagine that! Nice family, how about you speak to her, show your face instead of spouting. Congrats you were able to find a home big enough to rent in time for school. If you haven't noticed, the place where they rented is one of the few short term rentals. Oh by the way I own a home and I actually PAY school taxes.

By the way, if you are renting, what property taxes do you pay? Hope Karma doesn't bite and you find yourself without a rental.
      Unregistered -
      S. Moore this one is not worth your time addressing. So narrow minded are many...
      George Martin -
      I think you missed S. Moore's point about thinking critically! I don't think Moore was referencing Shuly in the critical thought but your inability to critically think if what you information you think you know and reality of it being all true. I gather the reference point is about the family being kicked out because residency violation and then let back in. True residency violation that would withstand legally, would not allow this family to return. I suggest you make yourself familiar with education law and the State laws on this issue to help your thought process.

Thinking further, I think it's very rational to assume the intent of this family included being legal with plans on having permanent residence to accommodate their family since they are still in school. This being the case, this is no longer a residency issue but policy issue on keeping kids with food allergies in public schools. If you want think further, another debate topic; why education or perception of education in neighboring districts are so bad that LG has so many cheaters. Is it really a better education and is it worth raising children letting them know cheating is the solution for solving greater problems.
      Unregistered -
      Well, one things for sure, they can't go to Lexington School: there are too many *nuts* with kids there...
      Unregistered -
      2 things: What are odds of all kids in one family having the same allergies (non hereditary --- like nuts)? Seems suspect. Hmm...and can anyone comment on Munchausen syndrome? Anyway, all boils down to residency. If you do not LIVE here in the boundaries of Los Gatos Unified, you SHOULD NOT go to school here. Shame on all of you (and there are a lot of you) that feel entitled to do that. Not if you live 1 block from the border line, or a mile from the border, or you lived here once, or you work here...blah blah blah. You don't LIVE here NOW and do not pay property tax, please go to your own PUBLIC school.
      As a food allergy mom - i know exactly what the odds are. VERY good. Once you have a food allergy in the family, siblings chances go up considerably, especially for nut allergies. VERY common for multiple children to have nut allergies. Please keep the two issues separate. Have an opinion on the residency, but don't pretend to know anything about food allergies if you don't. It perpetuates the false information out there. We are not all inflating a small issue, not all of us can afford to home school (let alone have the patience for it!) Not all of us make unreasonable requests, but reasonable ones. Peanut Free table, no peanuts in the class room, and washing children's hands after lunch. SPECIFICALLY when they are young and can't be relied on to take care of themselves. It's unfortunate that this woman is making food allergy parents look like free loaders, and that we are all unreasonable. We aren't. We just want to send our kids to school and know that they are as safe as can be.

As for the residency issue. Should be easy to prove, no? I agree, if she doesn't live in the school district she shouldn't be sending her kids to that school. Plain and simple
      Unregistered -
      My final comment. This family lied to enroll in the district. They were happy living that lie. When they were caught, they bought time to find something to legitimately get in the district by dangling the idea of being in contract, etc.... So, NOW they might be "legal". But, this does not, in my "failed" critically thinking mind, negate the fact they were liars in the first place and not fined or punished as per the letter of the law against falsification of residency. The district probably had to succumb to the "waiting period" to find a new home because of the cost analysis against litigation. Litigation: a favorite tool of such folks feeling entitled to do whatever they want to do, under the guise of protecting their children. By the way, I own and pay taxes on 2 homes in the district. RENTERs are fine! Because the property owners pay the property tax on their behalf. That comment was for a previous poster who chided a renter for "not paying taxes".
    Comments Leave Comment

Click here to log in

The Los Gatos High mascot is the...